Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Some Assembly Required

JENGA?
No, not quite-
this tower topples every
time I try, in solitude
to construct structures of
your thighs
bridged upon my
knees and palms
waiting for
the right roll of the die;
it's snake eyes,
so I tumble
and fall

If I could connect the dots
of beauty marks
which line walls throughout
your body
to the freckles
peppering spots on
both cheeks
elaborate designs tracing
sightline of eyes which
peer into my own most fondly
held memories
reflections of shared moments
beyond any foregone
coordinates
not even DaVinci himself
could chart a more
accurate map,
I follow that path
to find my way out of
the labyrinth

Sudoku is one way to
figure out equations
which may express
the code which slaves
follow,
every less than 3
signs define where
boxes containing 9 digits
can lineate- and in this way
I find myself
caught in
your logic

A Rubik's cube? Yes-
me and you, each
shifting constantly;
hues of White, Yellow
Blue, Orange, Red
and Green
we never seem to lose
track of axis
when disambiguating
a pattern so
Enigmatic

A nonogram, sangaku,
sokoban or Soma cube
can you defuse the timebomb
of ciphened clues inside a
crossword puzzle's line
like the words which spill from
my lips?
Tell me,
are you prepared for
this test?

Tetris pieces,
Yours an 'O'
mine a 'T', we fit best
when flat-locked,
with me on top, wedged
horizontally,
or depths- we fall so
hard upon a well called
the 'Matrix'
all you needed was the final 'I'
to clear the field
but quite unluckily,
some force unknown
sent you a 'Z'

Do I enjoy assembling jigsaws?
Interlocked adjacent
configurations,
finally figuring out the
bigger picture
when enraptured
in you
I care for nothing other
than what combined image
depicts- a master symphony
before this,
I was truly incomplete

You are the
awkward edge,
to my even more
awkward edge
smoothing out gaps
in each other, interminably
two odd ends,
drifting through the box,
doomed to be rough and
jagged eternally
but when we found our match,
it seemed to just
click,
at last- some symmetry

How do I know you're it?
Because you filled the only
hollow and wanting
part of me
and since the day
we met
you've fit my design
decisively,
like my final
vital
missing
puzzle piece







(c) Paul LaTorre 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment