Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Masquerade

I don't need a James Bond
"Shaken not stirred"
Globe-trotting, yacht-hopping,
helicoptering adventure to take
me away,
Simply feeling- quite sincerely, and severely
that this man right here needs
an escape

From the mundane,
from Monday-
from the routine I feel
has made a prisoner
of me- can I break free,
find exploration
be Samuel De Champlain

Cloak me in a novel's page,
wrap me up in a
comic book hero's cape
'cause facing 'today'
makes even the most creative
captivating mind
want to Silvia Plath
a toaster, plugged-in
and then hop in their
bubble bath

Marco- with eyes closed,
cries out loudly, in search of
Polo
Wants meaning to this reach
in the dark for unknown
factions tell us to keep scratching
at opportunity's door
America rallies- "WAR, WAR, WAR!!"
but never satisfaction reached
by victory, always crave
greater- can we ever once stop
to question what's root of
reason for invasion?
Who/what are we fighting
for?

Magellan and Columbus
would be proud now-
'cause every single day,
I see people all around me
pretending to be
conquerers- yet they've never
pioneered a single thought,
or led even a tiny, scenic
expedition to the Sea
of originality

Just non-factually lying themselves
into stolen identity,
false sense of security
I tell them-
keep masquerading
as what they wish to be
'cause reality can
be crushing

Hello humble buddy,
don't be glum- you're actually in the
majority
this country's paved by those who
only care for personal glory
So just keep on spitting rhetoric,
claiming pious prophecy,
throwing c-4 bombs at civilians' feet,
debating and impersonating
true great men
impostor of philosophy

Ding dong;
hey there, fellow neighbor!
Trick
or Treat
this is no
Happy Halloween







(c) Paul LaTorre 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment