Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Skyy is Falling

The scene:

backdrop lit, a summer's eve

and on a very unassuming,

unfortunate first date

Bloomfield ave. and the corner of 8th

Newark, New Jersey

little cafe- a modest place, is where

our unsuspecting young

couple sits and waits:

The man, Justin- just hit with some

stroke of inspiration,

looking up to the purple backdrop

mauve-lit sky of an inner-city

liquor advertisement

on the billboard behind his girlfriend's

eyesight, where a tagline allures them, seducing

'COME BUY, COME BUY!!'


Justin complies, orders a nightcap

"Please, waitress- for my girlfriend and I,

a 'Cape Cod'"

(Which is Vodka, Cranberry juice three blocks of ice, and some Lime)


Hoping if he loosens her up,

tonight could be 'their lucky night'

Suddenly, comes a haggard,

frazzled old man, with a stank aroma

out of nowhere-as if fallen from the...Turnpike

If I'd have to guess true whereabouts

of where the old man- let's call him Mike

came from earlier that night-

I'd hazard to guess Luficer's asshole,

by the smell of him, it'd explain why his clothes

were tattered, and he looked

so disheveled- like he'd never seen

a crowded main street in his life(...least, it might.)


"Did you have a good time tonight, Victori-"

but before the young half-buzzed casanova could finish

his line, he would be interrupted-

"Hey, EXCUSE ME!! Young man...but the Sky is falling...

Hope I'm not interrupting, it's just that I thought

you'd want to know...or be worried...

...because the

Sky

is falling."


"Yeeeah, right- listen,

I'd like to chat...really, I would

gramps but I'd like to get back, to this

chick of mine-and this drink,

it's calling my

name...I don't think I trust

you enough to tell

me what to think of the sky."


"Fair enough, I can't

force you to listen up.


But I did try to warn you...


The Sky is falling."



"Oh really, old quack?

I never heard that one before-

'Ooooh, the sky is faaaallling'

I mean I seen em' predict rain- in the form of

Cats and Dogs, and somethin' bout

pigs taking flight in the late day(that's all)

And you!!! Mister wonderful ruiner

of precious moments, being a

prophet-genius, sent from far in the future,

to deliver us allllll from some ominous,

horrible fate--& oooh look!!

A Unicorn just came ballroom dancing into the cafe-

from the Corner of 3rd and Broadway!!

Let me shoot her..."


"Fine, don't listen to what I'm warning...

but the Sky

IS

falling..."


Justin ignores the old man, and

the fateful forecast of vengeance

from the skies- instead, begins

rubbing fingertips up Vickie's thigh-

he hears hormones calling,

night growing old;

he wants to try to pry his luck and

slip inside

Yet should his tongue drift a sigh,

or a line in the narrow hallways which

connect a woman's earlobes

to her mind


Whispering to her, featherly-

"Can I take you home tonight?"

moisture forms around her pantyline-

"AHEM!!!

Boy, I SAID the

Sky...

it's FALLING!!!"


"Listen old man, I've had enough

with your rambling

hallucination having

selfish, impetuous old homeless fuck-

who gives a damn if anything

you say, does or doesn't

come true...it won't hold up


Next thing you're gonna tell me

to watch out for Chupacabra too...or BOOO!

Should I be

scared of the Jersey Devil- or no, I should

be ware of 2012

because if the Mayans say it

then it HAS to be true!!


And ooooh, wait- our President's got

death camps he's currently

constructing, to lead us all into!!

Elvis, Tupac and Mike Jackson

are really all still alive-

somewhere stored, frozen,

waiting next to some popsicles,

deep in some cooler in New Mexico

right with the Aliens at

Area 59.


Stop talking out that fucking

lying old ass of yours-

and purchase your pathetic,

musty self a motherfucking life...Can't

you see me

smoochin' with my girl here, would ya throw me a line?"


Then from nowhere- blinding bright flash,

clap of thunder

a few rusted hinges creak,

SNAP

whoooooosh,

swoop- swipe!

Then SPLAT! Goes two tons

solid steel

crashes the concrete-

cracking the pavement

twice on impact,

making spiderweb sidewalk-lines,

came from the lofty height

of the apex of a billboard, hanging off

the lips of a 22-foot gigantic bikini model


a 12-time real scale sized,

sinister

almost smashed our couple

to bits, calamitous

cobalt blue bottle


Had been hanging there for weeks,

hinging on the smallest blow

of the wind or

knock of the breeze

snapped, came swinging toward the

young couple, but the old man

saw it falling onto Justin

so he leaped.


Now, eyes wide,

catatonic paralysis

Justin shakes off everything

that just happened,

right in front of

his life-flashing eyes


Is he actually still here-

did that crazy

old-as-time apocalyptic crusty old

man really just save his life?


Mike gets up off the prone

24-year old,

brushes his sullen shirt off,

tips his invisible hat

gives Victoria a kind silent

bowing gesture of

'You're Welcome'

for that

turns to Justin, lifts him up-

points to the label of the

nearly fatal

broken bottle, below and says-


"The Sky was falling...


Told you so."
(c) Paul LaTorre 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment