Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Junker

Guess this is
truly it
You and I split,
sound the violins
as you hand over
the title

Didn't feel
I was worth the effort
of putting in
extra work, spare parts
rather throw me to
the scrap heap
of a junkyard's
parts pile

You drove
'til we both seized
mechanically, as far as one
bond old as ours can go-
also physically
chassis and body gave out,
pretty much literally
guess all those memories
of when I kept you warm, and
brought you to sights you knew
that otherwise, you'd likely
never see

Together- to the edge of
the Rio Grande,
you took Miranda
then lost your virginity
right next to me,
we raced time to see
the sunrise at
Point Pleasant Beach
so many shows at
outdoor venues, we'd watch
cheesy B-movie
horror pictures
& throw popcorn at the screen

Guess I didn't mean shit
if you could just rip
my heart right out
from its frame,
and relinquish
your keys

This is just like when Lebron jetted
from Cleveland, and left
for Heat of Miami,
to a flashier team which he saw
as greener pastures
or when Will Smith put an end to
the Fresh Prince so he could
become a more respected
Oscar caliber actor

Much worse than when
Jen Aniston had to stand on the
red carpet, watching
Angelina pass by with Brad
or Woody Allen leaving
Mia Farrow to hump and wed
his adopted kid
becoming ultimate
creepy combination of
Husband-slash-Dad

It's that bitch, the Dish
eloping with dipping utensil
which she seduced
ditched her husband, Cup
and split the happy marriage
of Fork, when she
ran away with the Spoon

When Michael moonwalked out
on the Jackson 5,
became King of Pop
he felt he had to go solo
on that ass,
but since then- what has become
of them all?

You take the last
gasp of air from my rubber treads
and leave my four
forward-moving means of transit
flat

Take my substance-pumping
cylinders, and
remove reason
for ignition,
make me idle,
I'm just a shell now
of what my purpose once was
where can I go
without an engine
or tires?

All I know, is
I was your first
you were my last,
and if this is how you
treat those you love
then I feel shafted

And despite all flaws;
dings, knocks, blemishes
stalls, quirks,
odd tricks and problems-
never once did I
abscond or
leave you walking
t'was the less stable human
to declare-
"Listen here, old friend,
we're through"

I always fulfilled my word
maybe it wasn't enough,
but as that redundant and
cliched phrase says-
"What's done is done"
no point in lingering on reason
despite all the good times,
a goodbye was inevitable
remember- although we've reached
the end-
you were the one
to die
on me,
I never
once
broke down
on you.





(c) Paul LaTorre 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment