Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Greatest Hits

Ribbit, ribbit
can you tie
a piece of ribbon to
my finger?
Remind me of the times
when we'd sing
'Maggie May' together?

Wake up, Kimmy
I think I got something to say
to you
It's almost early
September-
and I can't wait til'
I'm back at school

I know you didn't
raise me foolish,
but I can't help to feel
fazed & confused-
this is
hard living
days beginning with
the missing of
your whistling ways

oh,
pick up the line
I need to hear your voice
that soothing, somber
"I'll always love my momma,
she's my favorite girl...
I'll always love my momma,
she brought me to
this World"

You led me through
a storm of 'the Stylistics'
hidden wisdom in
lyrics you'd sing to me
"Smile in your face, all the time
they wanna take your place"
but never did I grasp
a concept of backstabbing
til' I felt the dagger
in my own shoulder's blades

Rocky Raccoon never checked
into his room,
because Mother Superior
jumped that gun,
way soon- gettin' hit by
the ricochet, and another
fragment came
stray-shot disfigured the smile on
Rocky's face,
and he can't even find
salvation
in his Gideon's Bible

Life's a bitch,
then you die- but I can't
be that pessimistic
let's analyze living
like scientists experimenting:
Control = life
Variable = decisions
make the wrong choice, life
becomes a variable
disaster of life's
path on a
collision
course

A daredevil swing from
flying trapeze with
no
safety net
makes your feat seem
even more
death defying- but
falling
is everyone's fear
so why waste breath
in the crowd?
Just jump in and take
to the air

You know that
'It's a Wonderful Life'
every time a bell rings,
an Angel
gets its wings- well in this
story, every time
one of your hits play,
somewhere
an Angel sings

Cause I can always
be sorrowful,
mourn your loss like it's
the end of
you,
or recall you, in every day
amber aura &
maple-syrup sweet
voice as you'd say:
"You're gonna miss me someday
when I'm gone"

And you were right,
but let's sing-alongsong to
Hey Jude,
don't make it bad

This is no Swan-song,
not the last one
we'll ever truly have
because en perpetuum
in the smile & laugh of Mia,
hug of Joanna,
shaking of legs,
in finding the love
of my life-
Dom & Chris also finding
their perfect match
in black cats
or redheads,
in the melodies of
Beatles, soul or
Motown
you ever passed forward
& handed down to me
in the chorus
of every song, I hear
you











(c) Paul LaTorre 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment